I must admit, the first day was tough. We started on a Saturday and my husband, who went paintballing for 6 (yes, 6 hours) was gone for a total of 8. He had a blast! I, on the other hand, was trying to occupy 4 children, without any TV, computer, Wii, etc.... Does it sound like I'm whining (I probably am) and I definitely was :-)
Anyway, this is what ended up happening on that Saturday....
That, my friend, is a volcano....yes, a true science experiment. All 4 of them created this volcano together (yes, together) from start to finish. Hmmm, my first thought, since I'm being brutally honest, was, that will create a huge mess and lots of clean up. But, look at those faces, none of them staring at a computer or TV screen, but laughing and having fun together.
As the week went on, it got much easier for everyone (actually very enjoyable). The kids stopped asking, they found toys they didn't know they had, they actually got creative....
This was one of our evening adventures....spa time :-) I actually really enjoyed this activity! And Daddy was a really good sport :-)
End result....not only more time with the Lord and with family, we actually discovered that you can have fun without "media". Now that we are back to "normal", we are discovering that TV, Wii, and computer is not always the first choice. In fact, I think it took another full week before the kids even remembered the Wii. Now they are back to doing all of the above, but much less than before. And, they are still having fun together. It created a whole new atmosphere with personalities (and school). Once we got through that first Saturday of course... :-)




No comments:
Post a Comment